Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When can you freely drill medium to large sized holes in studs or door jambs, and when do you need to be concerned about damaging the structural integrity of the structure?

share|improve this question
please define "medium" & "large" sized holes. And are you talking about timber members? – Mike Perry Jul 13 '11 at 21:02
There's a big difference between studs that are part of a load-bearing wall (where there is a compressive force on the stud from the structure above) vs a non-load-bearing wall. Answers should take this into account, if the question can't be clarified (since it's worded very generically now). – gregmac Jul 13 '11 at 21:53
@gregmac: I'm thinking in particular of a door jamb, but I was wondering more generally about both cases. Thanks for the clarification. – jrdioko Jul 13 '11 at 22:05
If a plumber does the work, then yes :-) – Bryce Nov 19 '13 at 4:25
up vote 8 down vote accepted

Just found this useful document (direct link to PDF) on the web. It explains in a much clear manner than I can, plus it contains some good, easy to read diagrams.

share|improve this answer
+1 Great document! – auujay Jul 13 '11 at 21:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.