Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This may the dumbest question ever, but I'm trying to replace the AC plug on a small appliance (it's European but voltage-switchable and I'm using it in the US), and I don't know what to call those replacement plugs (i.e. I can't find one on Amazon). I just need a two-prong US male AC plug that has e.g. screw terminals I can wire to inside the shell. I know I've seen such things, so my search terms must be wrong. Can anyone help?

(N.B. Not looking for a plug adapter. Want to actually replace the one on the cord.)

share|improve this question
Q: What do you call a diy high-voltage plug? A: A fire hazard – Joel Coehoorn Jun 10 '11 at 2:14
@JoelCoehoorn: Why? – Jay Bazuzi Aug 23 '11 at 6:01
@JoelCoehoorn -- he's not looking to build a plug from sheet copper, brass screws, and molten plastic, he wants one he can put on the end of a cord himself. – ThreePhaseEel Mar 1 '15 at 1:15
up vote 4 down vote accepted

A quick search for "replacement plug" on Amazon gives me a few hits like this:

share|improve this answer
Super. That first link is what I was looking for. Thanks. – quixoto Jun 6 '11 at 2:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.