Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We have a number of "slabs" that are just wider than a brick, which are set on top of walls in the garden. A number of them have come lose and I need to remove the cement mix that used to hold them down and set them again.

What mix of cement and sand should I use, and are there other things I should mix in to ensure the mortar has a good "grip" on the stone that sits on top of the wall?

share|improve this question
Construction adhesive works well. – Tester101 Jul 29 '10 at 1:04
Would "Construction Adhesive" be available in a hardware store (in the UK I'm thinking Wickes, Jewsons, B&Q)? Is it something that's added to the cement and sand mix? – Bernhard Hofmann Jul 29 '10 at 5:56
I'm not sure what is available in the UK, in the states it would be Liquid Nails, or a construction adhesive from DAP. This is not mixed with the cement, it is used to glue the top cap to the wall. – Tester101 Aug 16 '10 at 12:16
Could you add that as an answer rather than a comment so I can accept it as the answer. Otherwise I'll add it myself but you should get the rep points for answering it. – Bernhard Hofmann Aug 17 '10 at 8:54
up vote 1 down vote accepted

you could use a Construction adhesive like Liquid Nails or Beats the Nail. This works well for cap stones, since they are usually not a structural part of the wall.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.