Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the process called, when you create a shape of wood which will only be used during making the end product. Say if you want to glue 2 panels of wood together (butt them together) at a certain angle, say 67 degrees. You could get 2 blocks of wood, and on one cut an inset out, with sides 67 degrees apart, and then on the other create an outset which is 67 degrees, so that both pieces fit together.

You can then sandwich the panels of wood between these two specifically created blocks and clamp it tight, so you will be certain they will glued at 67 degrees.

The created blocks can then be reused for all other panels you want to glue to each other at 67 degrees.

I know there could be a better way of glueing 2 panels, but I need to know what this process is called? Or/and what the blocks that are only used during building are called?

EDIT: after looking a bit more (typical, finding the answer after asking here) it seems this is called a jig? Is this right?

(double question marks in title to make 15 characters)

share|improve this question
Jig, form - yep! – overslacked Apr 29 '11 at 21:49
form? Can you post as an answer so i can accept? – Jonathan. Apr 29 '11 at 23:22
I've upvoted Scott Saunders' answer. :) – overslacked May 2 '11 at 5:09
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Officially that's a "fixture". A fixture is like a jig except that (officially) a jig guides a tool, while a fixture does not.

In the real world (unofficially) if you call that a jig, everyone will know what you're talking about.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.