Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The previous owner of my house had a sprinkler system installed and had it run off the main water supply in the house instead of a separate meter. I had a new meter installed, so I do not have to pay sewage on my irrigation water. Now I have a pipe sticking through my foundation that has been cut off and capped on each end. It is not needed any more. If I remove this pipe, what is the best material and process to use to fill the hole in the foundation?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

If it's not a huge pipe, hydraulic cement would probably do the trick. Hydraulic cement is designed to expand as it cures and is used for reparing foundation cracks.

share|improve this answer
hydraulic cement is the right product to use, by a long run. you can buy it in small quantities as a powder and just mix with water. It is also pretty cheap. – shirlock homes Apr 28 '11 at 17:59

You don't need anything structural - just something to cap the hole and be an approximate match to the rest of the concrete.

In that case you just needs some "patching" mixture - some ready mix post concrete springs to mind.

I'm assuming that the hole is horizontal - if so then just push enough mixture in to make it water tight and smooth it out to match the current surface. Repeat for the other end if necessary.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.