Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I had our breaker box rewired, I had the electrician run a few extra lines (disconnected in the panel into the attic). I now need to run one of them downstairs through a wall.

Two questions:

1) I need a junction box, as the line I have in the attic isn't nearly long enough. It's an old house, I'm planning to have cellulose insulation blown in eventually. How can I properly mount the junction box for visibility, since I know the joists will be covered with a thick layer of insulation?

2) Since I don't have a way to tie the romex down to a stud as it goes through the wall, do I need to run it in grey plastic conduit down through the wall?

share|improve this question
The answer to this question may help you with the first part of your question. – overslacked Mar 4 '11 at 18:58
up vote 8 down vote accepted

The answer to your first question is YES. You need to have the junction in a box. Can you mount the box higher on the roof or a rafter or a gable end stud? if you don't have enough wire, then practically speaking, the box will have to live under the insulation. Technically it is not enclosed as in being sheetrocked over, so it is not a code violation in an older house. but when you do bring out the new wire, be sure it appears above the insulation before you go back down into a wall. you could also tag the wire with a label.

The answer to question two is very simple. You do not need to run NM cable (Romex) in a conduit in a residential framed wall. You also do not need to secure fished wire except in the actual devise box entry hole.

share|improve this answer
so plain romex electrical in interior walls does not need staples? – BozoJoe Sep 28 '11 at 0:23

Are you worried about the best way to do it or what code calls for? If it's the latter, I would check with your local county to see what they require.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.