Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Considering a home theater "upgrade" for the house. When I was thinking about placement for the projector, I realized that the back wall of my living room is actually the wall to the Kitchen Pantry. Wife would not mind having a small rack for a projector in the pantry, and so I wanted to ask how you might go about having a hole in the wall with a glass optic to shine the projector through to the other room.

Through avsforums, I found that Edmunds non reflective glass would run me about $30-$40. However I'm concerned how I would finish up the hole, so that I don't end up having a literal hole in my wall!

Are there any ready to use items I could use to fashion a hole grommet/housing for the optic? (I was thinking a 3-4" diameter hole would be more than OK).

Considering this hole is going in the living room, it can't look too weird too. I welcome your suggestions!

UPDATE: In addition to the answers below, I found this product which is probably made for finishing a "hole": http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Dually-Double-Sided-Plastic-Grommet/dp/B007CI3XL6

Also, cord grommets will work: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Desk-Grommet-Pack/dp/B000MM7PXG

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

This seems to be a design and/or shopping question, that is completely dependent on personal preference. You could trim the hole out with wood, some type of metal or plastic flange, some type of port hole from a ship (if you're going for a nautical theme), etc.

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

The options are only limited by your imagination.

share|improve this answer
+1 If you search the web for images of round flange, you will find lots of possibilities. If you could get away with 2.5", high speed heating vents come in a wide variety of finishes. You also should consider using a short section of pipe (plastic or metal) lining the hole in the wall itself to reduce dust and airflow. – bib Jul 11 '14 at 12:10
Amazing. I can't upvote because I don't have 15 rep yet, but you deserve it! – Aman Jul 11 '14 at 14:41
I found this, which could be used as well: fastcap.com/estore/pc/Dually-Grommet-p13445.htm – Aman Jul 11 '14 at 20:27

I guess I don't understand the problem. If you are making a projection port, why would it look funny? The standard professional projection window is fairly innocuous, even when used with a humongous projector:

enter image description here (From http://neiloseman.com/?p=3222)

Here are two which are much larger than you might use for your application:

enter image description here (From https://www.flickr.com/photos/yebot/4847816653/)

Certainly it would be easy to improve on the cosmetics.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.