Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a small window with security bolts which have become rusted and unusable. However, I can't see how to remove them without forcing them off and damaging the wood. Anyone seen these types before and / or know how to remove properly? I scratched away some paint and can see the make 'Ingersoll security'.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Have you looked at the underside of the bolt? – The Evil Greebo Jun 30 '14 at 13:47
yep. Couldn't see anything obvious but thanks for the suggestion. – codecowboy Jun 30 '14 at 13:57
Try tapping it with a hammer towards the window frame. I bet it's on a clip that's designed so that it can't be installed/removed without having the window out of the frame. You have enough wiggle room there to test the hypothesis. – longneck Jun 30 '14 at 20:13
Is this a casement window? – The Evil Greebo Jun 30 '14 at 20:28
If all else fails, just slide a hacksaw blade behind it and start cutting toward the jam. You'll probably take off some paint or mark the wood a bit, but it should be easy to repair (certainly easier than ripping it out with a prybar). – Comintern Jul 1 '14 at 0:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.