Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently discovered I have a leaky garbage disposal (that i have yet to fix). I think it had been leaking for a while, and it has caused the particle board beneath the kitchen sink to sag. I have been catching the drip for a few days now, but it doesn't seem to be drying, and it still feels damp. It's starting to smell a bit like mildew too.

The question is two fold:

  1. Do I need to replace the particle board? It's a corner sink, and I don't think I could replace it without taking the cabinet face off.
  2. If I don't replace the particle board, what's the best way to dry that space and remove the smell.
share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted
  1. Remove cabinet door.

  2. Fix leak.

  3. Remove particle board and put a box fan blowing into the cabinet for at least 24 hours. Treat the floor under there with a mold killing cleaning spray. Put the fan back while you cut the new bottom. I would do it piecemeal before removing the face of the cabinet. Which you may have to because removing the face of a corner cabinet will only give you another 2 inches or so. You would have to pull the counter top and remove the top of the cab to get a full piece in there. You may need a support under the planks in the middle somewhere but it beats destroying your kitchen.

share|improve this answer
+1 Any attempt to just dry the old particle board creates a substantial risk of a mold problem. – bib Jun 26 '14 at 12:23
Well that stinks, but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks. – Josh C. Jun 26 '14 at 14:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.