Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a house whose back part is built into the surrounding mountain. The walls of the two back rooms are slightly humid. In addition, they are poorly ventilated.

In some spots, the plaster wall is coming off. Here is what we managed to remove with a spatula, applying no pressure:

enter image description here

enter image description here

This seems to be a pretty common sight around here. The locals tend to apply a waterproof coating to any walls that have this.

However, that method eventually leads to bubbles forming in the wall, and we're not sure whether it is the best way to go.

What should we do?

share|improve this question
How do you feel about a dehumidifier? – Trout Jun 21 '14 at 2:06
Outside drainage and sealing (outside) which requires a lot of digging – Matt Jun 21 '14 at 6:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.