Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a small crack in my foundation that started seeping water when there was ice on the ground. The water is flowing along the foundation under my fireplace bump out. The cause of the problem will be fixed in the spring when I put in a new concrete patio, but I want to seal the crack in the basement wall to prevent future seeping. Would a product like this be appropriate? Is there a better recommendation? The crack is fairly small less than 1/8" in width.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

An 1/8 inch crack that is weeping water is a fairly serious fault. Wondering, is the crack displaced or flat? Regardless, any crack that allows water to seep through means the crack if through the entire wall. Normally I would recommend chiseling a "key" or an inverted "V" into the concrete and patching it with expanding hydrolic cement and coating the crack with a waterproofing rated for up to 4 PSI. I personally have never used the product you linked to. What is important is that bonds soundly. I would think it might be worth a try since you intend to do a better fix from the exterior in the spring. Remember, a simple concrete pad ove the area will not fix your problem, the leak is ground water, not a little ice melting on the top of the ground.

share|improve this answer
I talked to a few other people and decided to have it looked at by a professional to make sure it is done right. I got a recommendation for a company that uses injected epoxy. They charge $65 per linear foot. – SchwartzE Feb 4 '11 at 21:13
I guess if the epoxy fix is warranted for life, it would be worth the $$$ – shirlock homes Feb 5 '11 at 6:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.