Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was in the process of connecting a Reliance generator trow over switch , although the job was completed , I was trying to shut off power to the entire house by opening the main breaker but would not open . THe load center is an old Cutler Hammer ( 1988-92_ model ) and although Iwas able to operate and shut down individual breaker , I was concern that I could not close the main .Are these main breaker like that or should I get an electrician to replace the main breaker ?


share|improve this question

100% you need an electrician out there ASAP. If you can't manually trip it, there's a good chance it won't trip in an overcurrent situation and that could be very dangerous.

Your electrician will probably need to arrange this with the power company. To do this, the power must be cut upstream, and usually this involves removing the seal on your exterior meter.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.