Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have an old brass bed frame with 15 years of tarnish and I've been trying to use Brasso, but the process is long and tedious. Does anyone know of an easier way to remove tough tarnish from brass?

share|improve this question
I was going to say Brasso, but I guess your looking for a solution that involves less work. –  Tester101 Feb 3 '11 at 13:17

4 Answers 4

up vote 3 down vote accepted

drill buffing ball + Brasso

A drill mounted buffing ball or disc should eliminate most of the elbow grease needed for the job.

share|improve this answer

I've never compared the two head to head, but you may want to look for a product called bar-keepers friend. I know they have a brass polish, but you it will probably involve lots of elbow grease too. I believe they have buffing wheels that fit into drills, that may be a solution for speeding the process up. Good luck.

share|improve this answer

For really bad tarnish, you may consider getting a little more aggressive with your polishing cloth. I have a bed that was in the garage for the past 10-15 years. We eventually ended up using the green abrasive pads (with Brasso) to get the tarnish off and then progressively finer steel wool pads to bring back the polish and shine.

share|improve this answer

I have just tried a mixture of mayonnaise, vinegar and lemon juice, and it works beautifully! With only a quarter of the effort used to clean with Brasso and far better results!

share|improve this answer
Can you provide the proper proportions of each ingredient? –  Tester101 Feb 14 '14 at 15:34
I would also love to have the correct mixture of mayonnaise, vinegar and lemon juice mentioned above. Could you pleASE LET ME KNOW? –  Annetta Gardner Mar 14 at 1:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.