Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I used to be able to by 200W Halogens for standard fixtures locally. These were great for my porchlight (which could take the heat), because they lit my entire yard without me having to install more lights or replace the fixture.

I haven't been able to find 200W Halogens lately for standard (E-26) fixtures, but I have found them for both E11 and E14. Is there an adapter which can be used to adapt these to a standard socket? Is there anything (other than the heat) which I should worry about in using the E11 or E14 this way?

share|improve this question
What is a "standard light socket" where you are? There are numerous different designs which are considered standard in different places. – John Gardeniers Feb 10 '11 at 1:51
I am assuming (because his profile lists Georgia) that he is referring to a standard "medium base" edison socket (e26/e27). – James Van Huis Feb 10 '11 at 16:59
@James, it doesn't say which Georgia (there are more than one). Assumption is the mother of all stuff-ups. – John Gardeniers Feb 14 '11 at 1:52
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You can buy 250W Medium Base PAR38 bulbs at 1000bulbs.

You should be able to find the adapter relatively easily online if you still want to go that route.

share|improve this answer
Those are directional floods, I am looking for less directional lighting. – Russell Steen Feb 13 '11 at 17:23
Found an adapter, thanks! – Russell Steen Feb 13 '11 at 17:27
James, could you post where you found the adapters? – user5394 Feb 28 '12 at 3:18
1000bulbs.com/product/5831/SOCK-92321.html (that particular model is for E14 -> E26) – James Van Huis Feb 29 '12 at 20:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.