Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am about to start tiling a concrete area of my home about 220 sq feet. I was wondering if there is any specific type of thinset I should be using for a concrete surface. The tiles will be 12x12" ceramic tiles.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I use this type of Flexbond for concrete applications - well most applications. This will isolate cracks up to 1/16th of an inch. Also this stuff really bonds well to concrete. I know that you can buy that $10 bag but I wouldn't skimp on the thinset. I can say I have done a lot of tiling and not a crack yet (knock on concrete).

Also want to mention that I end up doing a lot of glass mosaic patterns (even in floors) and this stuff (get the white for glass) works great.

share|improve this answer
Yup, that's the stuff to use. Never skimp on the most important component of the floor system – Jack May 31 '14 at 0:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.