Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Just got my hubby a new ice maker and it has a 1/4" water line. Thing is it is going in the garage and needs to run off of the garden hose faucet. Is there an adapter that I can use to run the hose faucet to the ice maker? Do I need to install any copper tubing?

Thank you!


share|improve this question
Are the pipes exposed the feed the garage sink or other faucet? like the laundry tub? A sanitary tap will work then – Jack May 24 '14 at 0:43

Yes, it can be done. It make take more than one adapter in sequence to get from the 3/4" hose connection to the 1/4" plastic tube. Any plumbing department in a decent hardware or home-improvement store will likely have them.

The hose connector threads are different from standard American "NPT" pipe threads. You'll need to go from the 3/4" hose thread on the faucet, to 3/4" NPT thread, and from there it may take one or more reducers to get down to a 1/4" compression fitting that the ice maker wants.

Alternatively, there may also be some adapters in the irrigation and sprinkler pipe section, that can go from the 3/4" hose connector to 1/4" tubing using barbed push-on connectors. Something used for drip-irrigation for plants may have the right sizes.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.