Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to treat / repair some rusting on my kitchen sink . I've included some pictures below. I'm not sure what material the sink is (is there a way to tell?).

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

share|improve this question

It's an enamel coated steel (verify with a strong magnet). There are DIY repair kits, but your rust looks pretty serious. You'd need to start by taking the sink out, using a grinding wheel to get down to bare steel, then building up epoxy/enamel repair.

Yours may be a builder special of low quality: and the rust looks pretty bad. I'd recommend a new sink. Recycle the old one as steel scrap. And caulk the new one well to avoid water pooling under the edges.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.