Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking at a home that has a vertical gap or crack running the height of the exposed concrete block foundation. The crack is near the center of the home, about a foot to the right of the concrete steps leading up to the front door. It looks like the home owner has filled the crack, hopefully a suitable repair (and not just masking the issue).

Are gaps of this type common? Trying to gauge how concerned I should be about this. Thanks.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
before i could comment, i'd want to see the crack from the inside. Cracks from settling are common, so age, displacement of the crack, and other factors effect the diagnosis. – shirlock homes May 21 '14 at 10:45
Thanks. I didn't see a corresponding crack in the crawlspace when I was down there. The house was built in 1950. – azsromej May 21 '14 at 11:11
small cracks in block foundations are pretty common on a house that age. I always look at both sides if possible and especially look for how much the blocks have displaced. Usually not a big deal if there is little to no displacement. – shirlock homes May 21 '14 at 11:17
Thanks again for your help – azsromej May 21 '14 at 13:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.