Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My house was build in 1938 and the whole house has these door knobs everywhere. I believe they were made by Dexter. Is there a way to ID them properly and, if so, where can I find someone who makes a key for them? enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

share|improve this question
Reflection Selfie reminds me of a picture I took of Wayne Handley's Turbo Raven, that chrome exhaust stack was polished to perfection. –  Fiasco Labs May 11 '14 at 21:10

2 Answers 2

We bought a home built in the 1870s which was updated in the 1930s. None of the interior doors had keys. Went to a local locksmith and explained the problem. They actually sell a set of common skeleton keys - it was around 5 if my memory serves and under $20. You just keep trying until one works.

Lot cheaper than a house call.

share|improve this answer

Heh, skeleton key mortise locks. You're into house restoration territory with this and need a locksmith that specializes in really old equipment. As these appear to be interior door locks, the ward and slot design will be quite simple, unless it was a boarding house where a little more security was required.

Per DMoore's comment --> Just so you know, looking for "Dexter Ward Lock" pulls up a lot of HP Lovecraft pages... Wooo! wooo! The couch cushions are probably haunted by some of the olde ones.

Dexter is now owned by Schlage, but has a long history of being in the door fixture business.

I'd also recommend trying places like this: http://www.historichomehardware.com/store/

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.