Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

My dad used to have one, you use it as a drill guide/template when fixing electrical sockets, but I cannot find anywhere that sells them, and as I don't know the name Google is not much help!

(Searching on google for "socket drill template" did not find anything useful)

share|improve this question
It's called a pattress jig. I couldn't find any sellers in a quick search though. – Niall C. Jan 24 '11 at 21:09
Wow, what a memory you have. I haven't seen one in years. Never would have remembered the name of that thing. – shirlock homes Jan 24 '11 at 21:42
@Niall, thanks please make your comment into an answer so I can accept it, I just found one on ebay cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-Q-Pattress-Jig-CUT-PATTRESS-BOXES-EASILY-NEW-/… as you told me what to search for. – Walker Jan 24 '11 at 22:08
I'm curious, how did you manage to find that picture without knowing the name? Someone should make an online tool search engine where you can sketch a picture of a tool/jig/fixture and it tells you what it's called and where to find it. – Shimon Rura Jan 25 '11 at 3:57
Ha, this question is already the 3rd result in a google search for "pattress jig". – Mike Powell Jan 25 '11 at 13:58
up vote 10 down vote accepted

It's called a pattress jig.

B&Q stock them in the UK. However they can only be purchased from a physical store not online, the ean code is 03619377 and the cost is £7.68. (A B&Q store can order one if needed based on the ean code.)

There is also a seller on eBay UK.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.