Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is a typical old-work junction box with integral NM cable clamps. They are each labeled with a tiny "N".

enter image description here

I had assumed this stood for NM and didn't give the labels a second thought. But then I removed this junction box from 1955:

enter image description here

Now the top clamps are all unlabeled and the bottom clamps alternate between "N" and "T". There is no perceptible difference between the "N" and "T" clamps except, when this particular box was installed, only the knockouts for the "N" clamps were used.

What do "N" and "T" stand for?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

From the UL White Book

Guide Information for Electrical Equipment The White Book 2012

Outlet Boxes and Fittings (QBPZ)

Metallic Outlet Boxes (QCIT)

Boxes may or may not be provided with clamps. When clamps are provided, the carton is marked to indicate the type of wiring system or combination of systems for which they have been tested. The clamps are marked with the following letters or combinations thereof to indicate that they are suitable for use with armored cable ("A"): flexible metal conduit – "F," nonmetallic-sheathed cable – "N," or flexible tubing (loom) – "T." Clamps suitable for Type MC metal-clad cable are marked "MCI" for metal-clad interlocking armored cable, "MCI-A" for metal-clad interlocking armor ground cable, "MCS" for metal-clad continuous smooth-sheath cable, and "MCC" for metal-clad continuous corrugated-sheath cable. If suitable for all seven types, the clamp is marked "ALL." Clamps suitable for nonmetallic-sheathed cable are also suitable for multiconductor underground feeder and branch circuit cable where used in dry locations.


The letters indicate what type of wiring system the clamps should be used with.

  • A Armored cable
  • F Flexible metal conduit
  • N Nonmetallic-sheathed cable
  • T Flexible tubing
  • MCI Metal-clad interlocking armored cable
  • MCS Metal-clad continuous smooth-sheath cable
  • MCC Metal-clad continuous corrugated-sheath cable
  • ALL All
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.