Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Just had my DE filter replaced with a cartridge filter. The pipes going to the motor have three valves. Since the replacement I am losing water and can't remember which of the valves should be open and which should be closed. I believe one is for the vacuum system which I don't need, one is for the skimmer, and one for the main drain (can't remember which is which though). The two valves on the right regulate whether I am using the returns or the in-ground cleaning system. I have no problem with that.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Where do the two pipes on the right go? – wallyk Apr 25 '14 at 20:35
Those two go to the returns and the in ground cleaning system. – user21223 Apr 25 '14 at 20:57
Hi @user21223! It looks like you’ve accidentally created a couple of accounts. If you’d like to merge them (there are some advantages to doing so), the instructions are here. Welcome to the site! – Niall C. Apr 25 '14 at 21:01

Losing water? As in your water level is going down? That is not a problem with valve position. You've got a leak somewhere and a professional needs to address that.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.