Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The ceiling fan in my bathroom is playing up, so I removed it.

Looking inside the roof above the hole I saw the following:

enter image description here

It looked like a big clump of dust so I grabbed it and it felt quite soft. I am probably being paranoid but is there any chance this could be asbestos? I know soft asbestos is used as insulation but would I find it so close to the plasterboard like that?

The house was built in 1964 (in Australia).

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

It is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like long, man-made fibers which is not a common form of asbestos in residential homes. The common form is vermiculite. I have a home built in 1965 (in the US) and it had "rock wool" batting which I was concerned about, so I did a fair amount of research. This article helped me feel better. The only way to know for sure is to send a sample to get visually inspected at a lab. I had some plaster checked and it was not expensive.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.