Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have some sort of artisanal, metal, top oriented, window that essentially serves as a light well (but the room is almost completey dark, the main door is covered by a curtain because my girl friend don't like the fact she can be seen from people outside, even if the door isn't connected directly to a street).

This window, which occasionaly leaks water when it rains a lot, is just plainly put down on this metal architecture, which is rusted despite its paint.

Apparently, before we moved in the apartment something like 8 months ago, somebody seems to have removed the joint, which would been quite big or flexible.

What kind of joint do I have to buy, or is there some way I could craft one (I know I can't possibly craft one, but I can still do something now before I buy it).

Here is the window:




share|improve this question

If you're refering to the sort of caulk-like stuff that runs along the edge of the glass, it's called 'window glazing putty', sometimes 'window glazing compound'.

You can find sites online that cover how to re-glaze a window; you may want to remove the glazing from the rest of the window so you can get a clean edge all the way around, and a matching color:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.