Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am wanting to get a small deep freezer for my kitchen upstairs. I have hardwood floors and I am concerned about potential water damage from a power outage and the freezer defrosting and getting water all over my floor. Is there any type of mat or covering that would help in the even that this could happen.

share|improve this question

I am sure they sell large pans somewhere but that shouldn't be a concern. Your freezer should be contained, in that if there is a power outage and everything melts - the water should stay in your freezer.

Note: I have to think if I was putting a deep freezer on my hardwoods I would lay it on an area rug. Even insulated the freezer bottom is pretty cold comparatively so I would try to bridge that temperature gap. I would not worry about spillage though. Although you could test this before bringing it in your house with a hose.

share|improve this answer
Unless that freezer is designed with a drain valve for use during deliberate defrosting, and that valve is accidentally left open... – DJohnM Apr 7 '14 at 15:54
@User58220 - That is a good point but hopefully obvious. Also how much stuff in your freezer would actually melt? Even when I have had power issues, my ice cream was contained in its own container. Maybe if you had a freezer packed with Popsicle. – DMoore Apr 7 '14 at 16:07
+1. Also, chest freezers are extremely efficient and will take a long time to melt at all. A freezer should be able to go several hours without anything melting, maybe even a day if the freezer is full and the ambient temp isn't too high. – Henry Jackson Apr 7 '14 at 23:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.