Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to hang a light fixture on the ceiling of my kitchen. What i have noticed from other light fixtures that I have hung is that it takes a special type of screw (or at least it seems like it) that has a special cut on the top of the screw. What type of screw is this?

share|improve this question
When you say the "top" of the screw are you referring to the head (where the screwdriver goes) or the end of the screw (the part that goes into the hole)? – Comintern Apr 7 '14 at 0:07
Can you provide a picture? – Steven Apr 7 '14 at 0:25
The part that goes into the hole. @Comintern – diaz994 Apr 7 '14 at 0:27
I will try. @Steven – diaz994 Apr 7 '14 at 0:27

If you are replacing an existing fixture, the answer is likely no. What it sounds like you are describing is a thread cutting screw:

thread cutting screws


more thread cutting screws

These tend to be included with mounting hardware to make it easier to screw them into unthreaded holes in plastic or fiberglass electrical boxes. Unless you are using a new electrical box without threaded holes for the fixture strap (or the attachment points on the strap are not threaded) there is no reason to use them.

share|improve this answer
Yes these are the ones that I have seen. It is a new electrical box. What are these called? What do I ask for in home depot? @Comintern – diaz994 Apr 7 '14 at 4:27
They're called "thread cutting screws" - any hardware store should know what you're asking for. If they don't stock them, don't sweat it. All they do is make the screws go in easier. I use them if I have them, if not I just apply more torque to put non-cutting ones in. :-) – Comintern Apr 7 '14 at 4:35
Another term used to describe this type of screw is as a "self tapping screw". The term tapping refers to the common tool called a "tap" which is normally used to cut threads inside a hole. – Michael Karas Apr 7 '14 at 5:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.