Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Some instructions I am following from an American site call for 'hardware cloth'. It's a kind of square wire mesh, that can take weight. I can't find this on any UK sites (the closest I could find is chicken wire, which I expect wouldn't be as strong). Presumably it has a different name. What is it?

enter image description here


share|improve this question
Depending on the size of your burner/pot you can buy a cheap wire bird feeder and take off the ends and cut off a piece to the length you need for the stand; I've done that and then re-fixed the bird feeder ends to the remaining piece to make a mini-feeder! – user55926 Jul 3 at 8:10
up vote 2 down vote accepted

That's also known as welded wire mesh, or woven wire mesh (your picture shows welded not woven mesh). Stucco netting also might do you. For supporting a stove chicken wire is probably fine also.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.