Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description hereThis window lock is broken and I don't know what tool to use to replace the lock. It's just round hole, not a screw. I can't even identify the window manufacturer. Any help?

share|improve this question
A picture would help. – bib Mar 30 '14 at 2:12
Those are rivets. You can drill them out. – Edwin Mar 30 '14 at 2:46

I am going to guess this picture is taken looking down onto the top of the lower sash of a double hung window? The wood I see at the bottom of the picture is the wood flooring a number of feet lower? If so you can drill out the pop rivets on both halves of the sash lock and replace both halves with a new unit that resembles yours as close a possible. They are available at a hardware store. You will need a pop rivet gun to reset the locks in the same way, but you may need to drill new mounting holes too if the new lock has a different spacing for the mounting holes.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.