Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've tried looking all over for a solution, but I've yet to find a solution that matches my situation. The cover I have (I think) is supposed to turn so the hole is downwards so you can remove the screw to remove the cap. However, this unit seems to be (somehow) installed upside-down. The cap can rotate easily from the 12 o'clock to the 3 o'clock, but there's a rim inside that's mostly covering the screw inside. I can also turn the cap (with some effort) from 12 o'clock to 10 o'clock but it sounds like something is cracking or grinding when I do.

I also tried removing the screw despite the metal rim inside, but it just loosened until it was pressing against that rim and wouldn't come out any more.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm trying to remove it because I think there's leaking happening behind there.

turn-style overflow cover

share|improve this question
The overflow leads to the tub drain. You won't see much if you get the cap off, other than a passage leading to the drain. –  Tester101 Mar 29 '14 at 22:30
I have leaking occurring and that overflow is the last place to look. I'm hoping that after I get the cap off I can seal around it. –  Tim Tisdall Mar 30 '14 at 2:10
you may need to see it from the back side. –  shirlock homes Mar 30 '14 at 11:38
Yes, but I'd like to start with the part that doesn't need cutting a hole in the wall. ;) –  Tim Tisdall Mar 30 '14 at 16:07
What does the plaque read? –  Bryce Apr 2 '14 at 6:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.