Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I googled this question before posting here - I cant seem to find anyone with my exact needs, so I am asking here.

I have a light switch connected to an outlet that is under my house. From here I have a power strip mounted to the joist then there are 3 sets of Home Depot brand landscape lights connected to this strip (22 total lamps). They are too bright, and I would like to dim all three permanently (meaning set it once). I don't have any desire to change the level once I have it set, so its okay if the device I need is under the house.

What should I do?

share|improve this question
Why don't you just swap the lights themselves with some lower wattage replacements? May probably be cheaper in the long run, too. –  alt Mar 4 at 21:39
Hang on, you have a POWER STRIP mounted to your joist? Is it exterior-rated? Can it withstand rain / snow / whatever else is thrown at it without causing untold misery? –  alt Mar 4 at 21:40
Yes. Its in the crawl space so its relatively dry. –  user20257 Mar 4 at 22:06
thought about replacing the bulbs too.. but I am trying to match the brightness of some other lights so a dial would give me the ability to get the exact brightness. –  user20257 Mar 4 at 22:07
Sounds like the transformer you have can't be dimmed, which means either replacing the transformer, or dimming downstream of it (before the lights). This might actually be a better question for Electrical Engineering(electronics.stackexchange.com); essentially: How can I dim 22 (LED/incandescent/halogen) bulbs that draw (number of watts) watts each at 12V AC? –  gregmac Mar 4 at 22:34

2 Answers 2

up vote 0 down vote accepted

The specifications for the current power pack (transformer) offered by Malibu says that it is Not for use with dimmers. Older versions listed on their site also say the same thing.

While some of the earlier transformers from that manufacturer may differ, it doesn't look promising unless you swap out the transformer for a different brand.

share|improve this answer

The easiest thing to do is just replace the lightswitch with a dimmer switch. They make ones where the switch is separate from the dimmer so you can set it to the desired level and then just switch it on and off. If you want to lock in the dimmer, just use some superglue.

share|improve this answer
and this is safe on low voltage landscape lights? –  user20257 Mar 4 at 21:02
Good point. You will have to check the transformer to see what it says. It's possible it's not dimmer compatible. Another option is you can replace the transformers with ones that built-in dimmers. –  longneck Mar 4 at 21:08
its a Malibu Low Voltage from home depot. spec on their www don't mention dimmers either way. –  user20257 Mar 4 at 21:16
You would probably need a magnetic low voltage dimmer in this case –  Steven Mar 4 at 21:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.