Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an old toilet flange which was a brass ring on a 4" lead bend that connects to the main cast iron stack. The old brass flange ring corroded and broke. I found a nice PVC fitting that fits snugly inside the old lead bend from Oatey but now I need to find a sealant that will adhere to both the lead and the PVC. Or at least to the PVC.

I was going to use the fitting that has the mechanicaly expanding rubber gasket, but this is too long and hits a radius of the pipe before the flange itself is fully seated to the floor.

The PVC fitting

share|improve this question
The expanding flange that you had is the proper way to fix it -- how much farther would it need to go? – Ethereal Feb 27 '14 at 14:25
These lead elbows are very soft, I would not use any compression band to do any connection. If the side of the lead pipe buckled, it would be bad. Better to take out the whole lead part and replace it with a neoprene hub adapter and PVC pipe and elbow. – Jack Feb 28 '14 at 1:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.