Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

We have created a new loft room and over the already built stairs, the covering over the deepest part of the stairs is a plywood covering. I would like to replace this with glass that will be tough and strong enough to stand on.

  • For this purpose should I use a special type of glass, if so which?
  • Also what would be the recommended thickness of glass to use? This will not be a regular thoroughfare just needs to take the weight of a person.
  • The last question is how should this be mounted, with glue/silicone/putty or screwed/bolted to a wooden frame?
share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Not sure where you want to put the glass. Landing? Tread? What span is it between studs? 16"? You are probably looking at a 3/4" laminated tempered glass. Your best bet would be to call your local glass shop. They will know what the best product at the best price would be.

share|improve this answer
I would paint the floor joists then use clear silicone –  Justin K Feb 26 '14 at 13:52
even better if you paint the floor joists clear. –  DMoore Feb 26 '14 at 17:18

I would check out the possibility of using Lexan, it can be drilled if needed for securing, but you would need to talk to their engineers to figure the thickness that would work. I think with a 16" center framing that 3/4"thick would work, but I can't say for sure since I am not engineer.

The reason I spec Lexan, is to remove the possibility of the small chance something metallic will drop and shatter the tempered glass. That is all it would take. Otherwise, I have seen tempered glass do some incredible things, but holding up to a small ding left by the corner of something hard is not one of them....

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.