Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've just spent some time fighting with the hinge in the image below and finally worked out how it works. There is one part of it that's still a mystery and in the documentation it's called the Panel Release Button. It's the button marked with an R just above and to the right of the Horizontal Adjustment Screw. Anybody know what this does?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

To directly answer the question: The panel release allows the hinge to be separated into two parts, so the door can be dismounted without removing the screws and later snapped back into position. (Essentially, it gives you the same capability that removing the hinge pin would in a more traditional design.)

share|improve this answer

This is an anderson series 400 hinge that limits or adjusts the swing opening on French type windows. Here is a link to the Anderson service guide that explains the functions and how to use the adjustments. http://www.andersenwindows.com/-/media/aw/files/technical-docs/service-guide/serviceguide-0005225.pdf

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.