Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So I have scrapped down old pop corn ceiling and removed staple on tile on drywall attached to plaster, that can be only lord knows how old.

I didn't hang any barriers up as we are planning to do the ceiling walls and floors in all the rooms, although I did cover up outlets and vents.

I have already removed and made the mess and got dust everywhere.

Was wearing a mask enough?

So if this stuff was everywhere (metal, wood, insulation, wall, compounds) for about 90 years. So wouldn't everyone alive in those years be dead?

Is there more I should have done? What do you normally do and why?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Tester101 Feb 23 '14 at 13:41

  • This question does not appear to be about home improvement within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Lawyers and greedy people is probably the reason for all the hype about asbestos. I know it is a bad thing, and bad things have happened because it. I have worked on houses with asbestos over the years. and thank God, I am 59 years old and smoked from 17 to 54 years old, and to date no complications from any of it, although I know in years to come that may change. – Jack Feb 23 '14 at 4:19
@Jack So, basically keep the amsk on finish the job clean up EXTRA EXTRA good and move on with life, if in 20-50 years it haunts me deal with it then? I can live with that. – user2140261 Feb 23 '14 at 4:25
I can't take the time to answer with proper citations right now, but I have looked into this. I have removed vinyl floor tiles with asbestos and also a few ceiling tiles, so I researched it, like you are doing, and decided the following: Most all people who get mesothelioma from asbestos were exposed to it in high concentrations for long periods of time (in an industrial or work setting). The most dangerous type of asbestos is in insulation, not in other common products. Don't worry about it. – Edwin Feb 23 '14 at 6:27
Simple answer to your main concern is Yes, you are going to die. If you die from asbestos contact is unlikely, but we all are going to die eventually. – shirlock homes Feb 23 '14 at 11:15
@user2140261 The problem here, is that even cancer experts don't know exactly how cancer works. You could breath a tiny bit of asbestos and get cancer, or breath a large amount and not get cancer. The only thing that's known for sure, is that if you've breathed asbestos over a long period of time, you're more likely to develop cancer. – Tester101 Feb 24 '14 at 10:52