Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I own a mid-1800's house in New England, with a fieldstone foundation and dirt floor basement. I now have a mold problem in the basement.

There is lone sheet of drywall above the boiler & water heater, presumably as fire protection. Among my many problems, that drywall is covered in mold and must be replaced.

My question: is this something that might need to be done to code, with an inspection, etc.? Should I call my town about it?

share|improve this question
In an old house such as yours, that lone sheet of drywall may be asbestos if it was installed before 1989 when it was officially banned by the EPA. It was stopped being used in production in 1978. – Jack Feb 22 '14 at 22:50
Yes you should contact your local government to determine what the requirements are in your area. Since you're having trouble with moisture and mold, you should inquire about methods to meet the requirement that also take these problems in to consideration. – Tester101 Feb 23 '14 at 13:44
Don't bother replacing the drywall until you fix the moisture problem or you will just have the same problem over and over. – Steven Feb 23 '14 at 16:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.