Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a 150 amp service in my home. I recently added a tool room, and would like to isolate that room with its own GFCI breaker. How do I determine if that it is doable?

I have perhaps 5 empty slots in the main panel. Does 150 amp service mean that all the breakers amperage in total have to equal 150 amps or less?

share|improve this question
See the section Summing Up Breaker Ratings Means Nothing in this answer to the question, Do the breaker amp readings sum up to dictate my current panels total / possible amperage?. This answer, to the question How do you plan capacity for electrical circuits? might also be useful. – Tester101 Feb 19 '14 at 14:50
You can read all that but the simple answer is yes and no. Unless that added room is a grow room you will be fine. – Justin K Feb 19 '14 at 15:18
This article does a good job explaining load calculations. Residential Service Calculations in the National Electrical Code. Calculate the volt-ampere value, then divide by 240 volts, and you'll get the service size required. Next add the additional items you'll be adding, and make sure you're still under 150 amperes. – Tester101 Feb 19 '14 at 16:01
Mike Holt has a Residential Load Calculations Spreadsheet (xls) available on the Technical Calculations and Formulas section of his website – Tester101 Feb 19 '14 at 16:05

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.