Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a 21 yr old Bryant furnace. Recently it started making a horrible noise when the heat first kicks on. It sounds like someone playing the tuba. It only lasts a few seconds, but it's loud enough to wake me up at night & make the dog bark! It happens 75% of the time (mostly at night when the thermostat is turned down to 65). The other 25% of the time (when it's a little warmer), it doesn't happen at all or it's not quite as loud. What could be causing it ?

share|improve this question
Your question seems offensive to tuba players. – gregmac Feb 14 '14 at 22:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.