Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Finishing a basement and I need to add a subpanel. Main panel is outside. Subpanel will be in the basement. 70 Amp breaker in the main to feed the subpanel. I was thinking THHN but would this mean I need to run the conduit all the way to the subpanel?

Would NM-B be ok?

Edit: I live in Colorado if that makes any difference and I think the wire size is #6 for THHN and #4 for NM-B.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

The wiring will have to be in some form of raceway the entire run. If you're using Non-metallic sheathed cable, the jacket fulfills this requirement. If you're running individual conductors, you'll have to use conduit or some other approved raceway.

As for conductor size. If you can meet all the requirements for using the 90°C column, you'll be able to use 6 AWG copper for the run. However, since you're less than 100 amperes, you're likely going to be using the 60°C column. This means whether you use single conductors or a cable assembly, you're still going to have to use 4 AWG conductors.

- More information can be found in my answer to this question: What wire gauge do I need for a 100 Amp subpanel at the end of a 60' wire run?

- After further research, it appears 75°C is common for load center terminals (check your specific equipment to be sure).

share|improve this answer
I love it when you talk technical Tester! – shirlock homes Feb 12 '14 at 14:27
For completeness, do you have a link to the table you're referencing columns in? – Scivitri Feb 12 '14 at 17:38

When figuring circuit ampacity you can never use the 90 °C column. There is no way that every item on the circuit will meet or have 90 °C ratings. The best you'll do for conductors in conduit it the 75 °C column.

In my opinion 70A is an oddball sub-feed size. There's no reason for it. Either go with #6cu cable and a 60A feeder, or #4cu/#2al and go with a 90A feeder. The sub-panel can be the same in either case.

And please only downvote if you have code facts to back it up.

share|improve this answer
"You cannot protect wire rated for 85A with a 90A breaker" You most certainly can. This is a very typical installation. NEC 240.6 & 240.4(B) – Speedy Petey Feb 14 '14 at 2:00
Seems you're right again, however, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable upsizing the breaker when feeding a subpanel. – Tester101 Feb 14 '14 at 13:45
It's really not an upsize. It is the appropriate size according to code. The NEC tends to be pretty conservative, so I have no problem at all following the NEC in cases like this. Of course there are times when the NEC is safe, but not very convenient, so code minimum is not the best route to take. You also have to consider, how often is a residential sub-panel loaded to the max? Hardly ever in my experience. – Speedy Petey Feb 14 '14 at 16:45
I am new to this site, but I am not at all new to message boards. What happened to the other comments in this thread? It looks weird that the comments I am replying to are gone. Tester, did you remove them? If so, WHY? – Speedy Petey Feb 14 '14 at 16:49
This is not a message board, it's a question and answer site. Comments are meant to be temporary, and are used to discus matters pertaining to the content of the questions and answers. My comments were no longer applicable (since they were inaccurate), so I've removed them. I've also removed my down vote, and provided an up vote instead. – Tester101 Feb 14 '14 at 18:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.