Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Water is coming in the top of my French windows - they are 5 years old and it has only started happening in the last 2 months while we are experiencing unusually strong storms in the UK and is only happening when wind and rain is blowing from Sout West and hits my house full on. I've sealed to of doors with gaffer tape from the inside which helps keep water out but then can't open the door and when I do a puddle of water has collected in the restraining mechanism's space top of the doors.

Is there something I can install across top of the door frame to protect the top of the door (not a storm door as they are French windows opening onto the terrace of my garden).

There are 2 air-trickle vents (1 above each door) which prevents me adding a drip-strip to the frame above the doors. Can I add something to the brickwork above the door that will act as a drip-strip as I feel that maybe the water is being thrown at the wall and running down it then being pushed inside the top of the door by the wind.

share|improve this question
I think you may be right. A photo of this area would be very helpful to us in devising a solution. – bcworkz Feb 9 '14 at 19:13
Pictures showing the outside and inside of a leaking window would be helpful, along with an indication of where the water is coming in at on the inside window picture. – getterdun Feb 9 '14 at 23:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.