Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

According to this WikiHow article, one of tools needed to change a spark plug is "an extension." Is this a type of wrench?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The tool referred to is an accessory for a ratchet/socket wrench setup. It simply allows one to access fasteners that are inside deep holes.

It has a female square drive on one end--this connects to the ratchet; and a male square drive on the other end--this connects to the socket.

Extensions of various lengths

enter image description here

Ratchet with Extension and Socket in place

Ratchet with extension and socket

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.