Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have two three way switch when I'm closing one of them switch , the fan is automaticly close with the light & I hate that because it's a big place & I'm short so it's hard for me to grab the chain for closing the light to let the fan moving.So I want to add a switch for the fan only.The others switch will serve for the light. Someone help me please (show me a plan please )

share|improve this question
You could buy a new longer pull (~$3.00), or some chain to extend the existing pull (~$3.00). – Tester101 Jan 30 '14 at 17:09
It's important to understand your existing condition for an accurate answer. Please confirm: You have a combination light/fan fixture operated together by switches from two locations. You want to convert so one switch controls only the fan, and the other controls only the light, correct? The fan/light assembly would need to have this be a possible option with separate terminals for fan and light. Since the light has a separate pull chain switch, this may not be possible without rewiring the fixture. It would be very difficult to help someone safely do this rewiring over the internet. Cont... – bcworkz Jan 30 '14 at 19:52
...The other condition that is required for this to work is the two traveler wires for the 3-way switches must pass through the junction box for the fan/light fixture. There is a reasonable chance this is the case, but a fair chance it is not. If not, additional wires need to be run from one of the switches. In which case you probably are better off with a longer pull chain as Tester101 suggested. – bcworkz Jan 30 '14 at 19:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.