Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The connector from one of the leads from my toaster oven's power supply to the top heating element broke off. The wire is too short to just add a new connector, so I need to replace the wire.

The wire was different than others I had seen as it had a knit, fabric-like insulation rather than rubber or silicone.

What kind of wire can I use to replace the broken one, and where can I buy it? Or, are temperatures in the side of the oven, where the wiring and control circuits live not that high and regular lead wire will work?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Niall C. Jan 25 '14 at 21:58

  • This question does not appear to be about home improvement within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This question appears to be off-topic because it is about repairing a small appliance. Please see the help center for more information. – Niall C. Jan 25 '14 at 21:58
up vote 1 down vote accepted

That "knit, fabric-like insulation" indicates high temperature wire. Amazon sells it, or if you're foolish like me, you can salvage pieces from old, burnt out electric drip-style coffee makers.

share|improve this answer
It does look very similar to the "high temperature wire" in the Amazon link you specified. +1 for the tip on salvaging from other old appliances with heating elements. The wire isn't that expensive, but not worth buying a whole role as I only need a few inches. – Geoffrey Hing Jan 25 '14 at 21:37

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.