I live in Northern CA.
- For over 2 weeks, outside humidity is 90% (night) to 60% (4pm).
- I use fans when cooking and bathing.
- I keep the house temperature at 60-66 deg (night-day) and probably may drop to 57 when not at home during the day.
- I try to open windows and ventilate, but that is hard since when I am home, I want to heat on and it tends to be night time so outside humidity is higher anyway
- I have no basement
- house is old, so I don't think it is "too air tight"
- windows (about half) are old, single pan (not drafty though) and they get TONS of condensation every morning
Why is it that other houses I went to seem dry and maintain humidity at 40-50% while I have such a big problem lowering it?
Am I doing something wrong, like, should I heat the house to a higher temperature, will that help? Is getting a dehumidifier a (only) solution?