The wiring at the residence dates back a century - almost. The old wires were wound in cloth, and are pretty thick aluminium/tin-coated copper. The old energy meter (one with a marked wheel that rotates; mfr. Contimeter) was recently replaced with one of these new-fangled electronic digital ones. My electric load is unchanged. Yet the new meter appears to register easily double the old one.
Typical appliances that form the electric load are as follows -
- Ceiling Fans
- Lamps (Incandescent, Fluorescent, and Compact Fluorescent)
- Television (old-fashioned CRT type)
- Computer (with a similarly old-fashioned CRT monitor)
- Micro-wave oven
- Vacuum cleaner
The electrician says the old wiring should be replaced by newer 2.5 sq.mm wires; I believe this used to be called a 5/22 wire. He further recommends a multi-strand wire rather than one with a single core. What little I recall is that a multi-strand conductor is suited for HF/VHF and such applications. The supply line from the utility company is 240V@50cps.
Is a multi-strand conductor better suited for house-hold wiring than a single-core?