Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have been going through many parts that I have recently gotten ahold of. However, I don't know what many are or what they do. I ran into this steel part:

enter image description here

It is 0.565 in tall, with an inner diameter of 0.25 in and an outer diameter of 1.25 in.

I'm not sure if it is a thick spacer, a tall washer, or something entirely different.

Does anyone know exactly what it is or what it is for?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Could be a bushing, or "plain bearing".

share|improve this answer

Looks like a brass spacer to me:

enter image description here

Though it could be some sort of brass (or steel, as indicated by the asker) roller like you might find in something like a laser printer (if they still used metal parts in laser printers instead of plastic).

I think it would be impossible to say with any certainty exactly what it's meant for without seeing where it came from.

share|improve this answer
Sorry for the confusion, but the part is made of steel. – Blue Ice Dec 24 '13 at 1:08
I bought a towing hitch receiver a while back. It looks like one of the spacers that was provided with the install kit. The spacer was used to bridge the difference between the flat receiver frame and the angled truck frame. – Edwin Dec 24 '13 at 1:36
I updated my answer to include steel, but the material doesn't really change my answer. – Johnny Dec 24 '13 at 16:31

As @Johnny has stated the top photo appears to be a spacer made of a nonferrous material or plated. The bottom photo shows what is commonly called a fender washer. A fender washer has an outside diameter larger than a standard washer of the same inside diameter. The larger size allows it spread the clamping load over a larger surface preventing damage to the surface of the pieces being bolted together.

share|improve this answer
I forgot to mention the part is made out of steel. My apologies. – Blue Ice Dec 24 '13 at 1:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.