Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

It's always raining heavily here at my place and I had to keep the room windows shut due to the electrical appliances near the window inside the room. However, the room quickly becomes ill-ventilated.

What's the best solution to this dilemna?

Is there a window or material covering that does not allow rain and water to enter, yet allows the wind to enter?

share|improve this question
look up "window vent" –  ratchet freak Dec 18 '13 at 10:09

3 Answers 3

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I like the answer JonW gave, but also would suggest just putting an awning over your existing window and opening it from the top as it's likely to be a bit less expensive.

Edit: I passed this house fixed type awning system and decided to grab a shot to add t this post

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
However, awning's don't really keep heavy rain out unless they are really long outwards right? –  Pacerier Dec 19 '13 at 0:56
With a top opening window and a reasonable sized awning, the rain would have to practically go upwards to get into the room. (which could probably happen with a lot of wind, but in practice it works well -- my parents old house had awnings and they could keep the top half of the windows open even during heavy rains). –  Johnny Dec 19 '13 at 1:05
I believe there are also retractable (roll-up) awnings that be set as be has high or low profile as needed. –  virtualxtc Dec 19 '13 at 20:35

You can get a Tilt and Turn window - a window that tilts inwards slightly (and locks in place so that it doesn't tip back anymore) to let air circulate, but can also be opened as a traditional window too (albeit one that typically opens inwards instead of outwards).

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
I've also seen ones that open out/with the opening at the bottom rather than in/with the opening at the top. –  Mark Booth Dec 18 '13 at 12:10
@MarkBooth: I'd still opt for the top-opening ones. Don't want any curious little creatures nipping in for a visit! –  JonW Dec 18 '13 at 12:15
That depends on how practical it is to get to your sills. If a creature can get to my flats sills then they could certainly climb up to the top gap too. *8') What I have also noticed though is that with top gaps, wind blown rain can get further into the room than with gaps at the bottom. –  Mark Booth Dec 18 '13 at 12:25
@JonW, I don't see how this could actually keep the rain out. The rain would get into the room though the hole wouldn't it? –  Pacerier Dec 19 '13 at 0:54
Is this any better than the standard double-hung window that can slide open from the top? Maybe with the addition of a window canopy or awning at the top? –  Johnny Dec 19 '13 at 1:14

If you don't mind the loss of light from the window, a louver could be installed.

share|improve this answer
Does a louver gives a stuffy room? –  Pacerier Aug 27 at 4:26
@Pacerier, a louver would definitely help a stuffy room. –  TDHofstetter Aug 27 at 4:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.