Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So I'm in Australia and unfortunately we run on 240v @2A 50Hz.

I've recently purchased a neon sign transformer but just realised that its got the below eg

Doh! Wrong input. I'm wondering if there's any way I can easily get the required input from my mains (I've also got access to 3 phase etc)? Does the Hz matter? If it makes any difference, i'll be passing the output through a Rectifier later to (hopefully) get 6kV DC @ 30mA.

The other question is what is 400 VA referring to and how do I get it?

share|improve this question
1) I doubt Aussie households are limited to 2A! 2) 240 V is manly, be proud. – RedGrittyBrick Nov 28 '13 at 9:34
@RedGrittyBrick I've got a 15 and 20 Amp 240v line here, plus 3-phase :) And I think its fairly easy to get high current 470V as well... – NULLZ Nov 28 '13 at 12:18
up vote 4 down vote accepted

If this is an old fashioned wire wound transformer, the 60 to 50 Hz will not matter, going the other way makes some difference though. If it's some sort of electronic switching transformer, it could be a problem, I've no idea.

The voltage difference is obviously a problem. The 400 VA is volt-amps, or watts. You don't need to get it, it just happens as a result of applied voltage and resistance in the windings. 400 watts isn't a huge amount of power, you may be able to find a step down transformer intended for travelers from North America. You may find such transformers cost more than the device you have. You may be better off getting a proper transformer and writing off the amount spent as a lesson learned if you are unable to return it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.