Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Between 2 rooms, there is a small single step, the step being only about 1-2 inches tall. Over this step is a piece of metal, bent in half. Mine has come undone, and has ended up broken but I've just found the same thing in another house. It looks like this:

enter image description here

Does this have a name? My own research gets me close with terms like "floor edge step trim" but most results I see have for flat pieces of metal, where I assume I'm after a "corner shaped" thing...!

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think the term you want is 'stair nosing'. See here http://www.kofflersales.com/p/metal-stair-nosing.asp.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.