I have an Aprilaire Humidifier Model 600 (or maybe 600M) mounted on my furnace. The humidifier is not turning on (i.e. letting water flow over the filter) when the furnace is on.
The below images show:
- The control dial with the faceplate on.
- The control dial with the faceplace off.
- The housing that contains the filter.
- The water solenoid.
The control dial has three wire pairs connected to it:
- One pair goes to the furance to get 24V AC power. I've confirmed this has power when the furnance is on.
- One pair goes to the solenoid and passes on the 24V AC. I've confirmed when the control knob is moved to "Test" (and the furnace is on) that the solenoid opens and water flows to the filter. So the "water side" of the humidifier works.
- One pair goes to an ourdoor temperature sensor mounted in the housing of my air conditioner unit. I ohm tested the temp sensor and got nothing. So I replaced the temp sensor with an Aprilaire Model 8052 sensor.
I thought for sure that replacing the temp sensor would resolve my problem. But after two days of running with the new sensor (and setting the control knob to "6"), a humidity sensor in my house hasn't really moved from 46%. As mentioned, when I turn the knob to Test I can hear the solenoid open and see water flow. But when the knob is at 6 and the furnace is on, I never hear the solenoid get activated.
What other steps can I take to diagnose the problem? I've always ohm tested the temp sensor out at the air conditioner. So I could try testing it at the control panel I suppose. The other possibility is that some electronics in the control panel have gone bad.