Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Related to this question, The blinds project has gone pretty smooth up until this point. It seems that some walls have plaster or masonry behind them. Probably not a big deal, but I've snapped a couple of quality drill bits in the process.

Thus, I ask: What should I do to fasten the rest of these to the wall? I have seen some suggestions online about using molly anchors, but I'm not sure if that's the right approach, or even which molly anchor is appropriate.

share|improve this question
Plaster generally won't snap drill bits. It's too soft. Masonry, however, will. – The Evil Greebo Nov 5 '13 at 17:00
You know, I thought it might be masonry, but I wasn't sure. Considering these are exterior walls, +1. I'll update the question. – BigHomie Nov 5 '13 at 17:02
up vote 3 down vote accepted


Hammer Drill

The job will be much easier with a hammer drill, or a drill with a hammer option. Though it can be done using a regular drill, given enough time and patience.

enter image description here

Masonry Bit

You'll also want to put a masonry bit in that hammer drill. A carbide bit is the choice of champions.

enter image description here


Squeeze, Push, and Wait

  • Put the tip of the bit where you want the hole.
  • Squeeze the trigger on the drill motor.
  • Push against the back of the drill motor, or grab the other handle if the drill has an optional side grip.
  • Wait. Hold that position until you've created a hole the proper depth.

Pull Out

Similar to the Squeeze, Push, and Wait. Except that you pull the bit out of the hole from time to time, to clear any dust and debris from the hole.

share|improve this answer
Worked like a charm. I went with the DeWalt corded hammer drill, as the corded one was cheaper, and a drill bit similar to the one you pictured. I also used masonry anchors as The Evil Greebo suggested, for future readers. – BigHomie Dec 28 '13 at 12:39

Assuming that you have masonry walls, you need masonry drill bits and masonry anchors, which are somewhat different than the molly anchors you find for use with hanging on plaster.

Any masonry anchor style should do - as long as you size it appropriately for the item to be hung.

share|improve this answer
When reading up on this, some articles mentioned I need an impact drill, is this a requirement, or is a regular drill fine? I have an 18v B&D btw, it get's the job done. – BigHomie Nov 5 '13 at 17:29
For a small job like you're doing you can probably get by with a regular drill. The impact drill does tend to work a little more easily with stone/masonry because stone is more brittle than wood. – The Evil Greebo Nov 5 '13 at 17:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.